On July 16th at 3:32pm we happily welcomed little Tyler Pierre Pozsgay into our family! This time around, our birth story isn't nearly as eventful. After much thought, we opted for a repeat C-section. Baby Pozsgay was measuring large again and I was past my due date so it seemed like the best option. Here we are the morning of our scheduled surgery out on the deck, just a family of 3! Poor Austin got Bronchiolitis earlier that week, so he was in pretty sad shape and definitely was not exactly excited to pose for a picture! My surgery wasn't scheduled until 3pm, so we actually got to have fun playing with Austin all morning before dropping him at daycare.
We arrived on time at the hospital and comfortably sat in the waiting room until they were ready for us. Definitely different than showing up in labor and being rushed to triage!
We showed up 2 hours before surgery and spent most of that time in pre-op. They monitored the baby, hooked up my IV, talked to me about anesthesia, and that was about it. It was an odd feeling just waiting and knowing that in 2 hours we were going to have another little one in our family!
I was in the OR right around 3:00 as planned, and 23 minutes later we heard little Tyler's first cries. Of course, he decided that he needed to add a little excitement in to his entry into the world. Mike and I were chatting as they began the surgery and were remarking that we didn't think it took that long with Austin. There seemed to be a lot of moments where the physician was telling me I'd feel pressure and Mike noticed serious looks on most of the staff's faces. They never told us a thing though - just kept working and of course happily exclaimed when they got our little guy out safely. It wasn't until later when a nurse was assessing my pain that I found out there was a minor hiccup in my surgery. I felt that my abdomen was more sore than I expected and she said, oh yes - they had to do quite a bit of pushing to get him out. Actually, he had turned transverse and they ended up having to use a vacuum! I didn't even know vacuums were used during C-sections! Its funny because in pre-op I noticed that my right side was very hard and uncomfortable and wondered what body part was wedged under my rib. Little did I know that he had flipped from head down to side-ways! Thank goodness I didn't try a regular delivery!
My OB held Tyler and said, wow, you make big babies so I was bracing myself for another 9 pounder. Tyler weighed in at 8lb, 5oz though - big, but a pound smaller than Austin.
Unlike last time, I was aware of everything going on around me and was in pretty good spirits throughout the surgery. I even managed a big smile for the camera when they handed Tyler to Mike.
I finally got to hold him once they transferred me to post-op. We all laughed that he came out of me with his mouth open and tongue out, ready to eat...it was quite cute. And very true - he had zero trouble finding milk and ate well immediately!
Its such an amazing feeling to feel completely unprepared to meet this new little person and then instantly to feel like he's already part of the family. Those first few moments are awesome.
After an hour or so we were transferred to our room for the rest of our stay. We heard from our good friend Jesse that she had successfully picked up Austin at daycare and brought him home to meet up with his cousin Aleigh. Miraculously, he was excited to see her at daycare and cooperated completely the rest of the afternoon and evening. We really tried our best to prepare him for that day, and I think he actually understood what was going on.
I missed some of the most gorgeous summer weather in those 4 days at the hospital, but got to spent it getting to know this little guy...that's worth it. :)
Aleigh spent the night at our house with Austin the first night and my brother came the second night so that Mike could come back and hang with us at the hospital. He came and went a bit throughout the days so that Austin got some daddy time too.
It felt like forever, but we were finally discharged to come home. We never did bring Austin to the hospital to meet his new little brother. He was still getting over his virus and it just seemed too risky. Mike did show him pictures though and he seemed to understand that 'baby brother' was going to be coming home.
We packed up and headed home, now as a family of four. Thankfully my recovery already seemed much better than the previous time. I was up and walking the next day, lifting the baby without too much pain, and back to eating normal food fairly quickly. Looking forward to the adventures that we have with our newest addition!
No comments:
Post a Comment